Monday, September 17, 2012

Why Witness?

Growing up (mostly) in church I often heard preaching about being a witness for Christ, it is such a familiar topic in Christianity that many people begin to think they understand what it means to "Let your light so shine". Just before entering High school I promised God I would live for Him and Him alone with my life, in return God called me to be a youth pastor. I was only 15 but I knew what God wanted me to do.

In high school (a public one) I was able to start a bible study during school hours (we were even given our own room), and even lead some of the football players in pregame prayer, I was very outspoken and unashamed of my faith at times in high school (being a 15-18 year old boy) I was a little too "Black and White". I remember one time when a girl walked up to me during lunch and saw me reading my bible, she immediately said "Your not allowed to do that in school" after politely (yes politely) explaining that I could she angrily asked me "Well I don't believe in God so does that mean I am going to Hell?" I looked up at her and with a straight face simply said "Yes". I now know that even though Yes was the correct answer what I should have said was "Yes, but let me show you how you can go to Heaven instead".

Although I was a young Christian I was absolutely in love with Gods word and teaching others about it, sadly though a mixture of hard feelings, and fear kept me from witnessing to some in my school. I didn't struggle with the physical part of fear in high school I was punched in the face twice and slapped in the face three times all for sharing Gods word, my science teacher senior year often ridiculed me and my creation beliefs in class, my English teacher on multiple occasions marked me down for using the bible in my assignments, I had food thrown on me twice, verbal attacks blah blah blah (none of this is persecution, try being a Christian in China) what I struggled with was witnessing to the popular girls (I know that sounds dumb) but its true, my beliefs were especially unwelcome in the popular kids circles.

I always thought that since I witnessed to my friends and even some who I didn't like in school, that meant I was a good witness. I was wrong.

Five years ago today I went to school to find out one of my classmates had hung herself the night before, the absolute first thought in my mind, the thought that often still rings in my head was this.

I had NEVER verbally witnessed to this girl in all the years that I brushed shoulders with her in the halls, for some reason I never  took that step with her or her closest friends.

It was that day that I realized how important it was to witness to everyone, not just by our actions but personally with our words. I did not know the girl well enough to know her spiritual condition and ONLY God knows the heart
Matthew 7:20
Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
Mat 7:21
Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 7:22
Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Mat 7:23
And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
  What I do know is that if that girl died without knowing Jesus Christ as her personal savior then she has spent the last five years burning in a literal and everlasting Hell, and her blood (in at least some way) will be on my hands when I stand before the throne. My inaction, my inability to care enough to talk about Christ one time with her could have been the difference in her eternal destination and I failed.

I truly hope that she was saved and has spent the last five years in Heaven with Christ but I do not know, all I know is that from that point being a witness was more than a bragging right, or a habit, it is now real to me, it is now important, its life and death every time.

So please do not keep your silence, lift your voice to all you meet, because the next chance you may have to witness may be their last chance to listen.

1 comment: